car-wash-owning
Unnamed
TalkCarWash Stats: 5669 users, 3547 posts, 14501 replies, 1308 classifieds, 3976 pictures, 2.5 Hours of Video
← Back to Product Review

Textile Dryer: Mitter vs. Top Brush

3 replies created over 4 years ago
posted by SF Car Wash Channel over 4 years ago

So we have the Sonny's and MCWW textile dryers which use top brushes to get the tops of cars, even as 1-brush configurations. However, a top brush gets less coverage than a mitter. In addition, when being used on all cars, mitters do not need retracts added on.

For the first scenario, let's say that you are using your textile dryer on all cars and have room for either a reverse top brush or a side-to-side mitter for drying, and the ones you are looking at cost the same and have similar amounts of maintenance. In addition, you do not wish to hire employees to dry cars at the tunnel exit.

Next, assume that you are going to get a set of wraps in addition to the mitter or reverse top brush. Which one (the same mitter or top brush from the 1st scenario) would you choose?

Finally, let's add an in-tunnel express polishing service to the mix. After an air dry you have a misting arch for polish application, immediately followed by your wraps and top drying supplement (same ones as 1st scenario).

Replies

reply by Robert Roman over 4 years ago

Tunnel design is an art and science.

It’s an art because there are many variables involved that can change considerably from location to location. It’s a science because there are fundamentals and rules that must be followed. Not all of this stuff is published.

Placing friction dryers (i.e. fabric) after the air-producers is done mostly to aid drying and provide the appearance of “buffing” the car whereas foam brushes (when lubricated) can actually shine the painted surface .

Online “wax” or protectant that is applied in water-based solution is not the same as cream or paste hand-wax that must be rubbed on and off the surface.

Shine, smoothness and water repelling qualities that online products impart on painted surfaces and glass occur at the molecular level (rinse on, rinse off).

“After an air dry you have a misting arch for polish application, immediately followed by your wraps and top drying supplement….”

Misting would be problematic because of turbulence following air-producers. Electrostatic application might mitigate but how do you implement this?

Moreover, experience with automatic vehicle polishers (roll-over) shows that vehicles must be touched up by hand because the machine doesn’t remove all the polish (overlap, cracks and crevices).

reply by Earl Weiss over 4 years ago

AFAIAC If you use a textile drying system, (Got rid of ours about 40 years ago) be prepared to have a diligent maintenance plan in place to check for proper operation and replace dirty material on a regular basis.

I would go with more Air producers before i would consider this.

reply by aaaautospa over 2 years ago

I got rid of it 10 yrs ago.
www.aaaautospa.com

You could leave a reply if you were logged in.
car-wash-operating